Franciscan University of Steubenville
Oberammergau Passion Play
Budapest, Bratislava, Prague & Germany
Spiritual Director: Fr. Dave Pivonka, T.O.R.
(President of Franciscan University of Steubenville)
September 17 - 26, 2022
Your trip includes
- Round-trip airfare from
- All airport taxes & fuel surcharges
- Accommodations at first class hotels or similar:
- ~ 1 ni: Sep 18 - 19, Munich, Roomers, Pullman, Hilton Maritime
- ~ 2 ni: Sep 19 - 21, Oberammergau, accommodation to be advised
- ~ 2 ni: Sep 21 - 23, Prague, Angelo by Vienna House Hotel
- ~ 1 ni: Sep 23 - 24, Bratislava, Mercure Bratislava Centrum Hotel
- ~ 2 ni: Sep 24 - 26 Budapest, Radisson Blu Beke
- Transportation by private motor-coach
- Tour Escort Throughout
- Breakfast and Dinner daily
- Wine and mineral water with Dinner
- Category 1 ticket for the Passion Play
- Official Passion Play Program in English
- Mass daily
- Sightseeing and Entrances as per itinerary
- Luggage handling (1 piece per person)
- Flight bag & portfolio of all travel documents
- Lunches, Beverages not mentioned, Tips to your guide & driver.
Day 1, Sat, Sep 17, 2022: Depart to Munich
Depart for Germany on overnight flights.
Day 2, Sun, Sep 18, 2022: Arrive Munich
Upon arrival in Munich, proceed to the Arrivals Hall where your tour escort will greet you. The capital of Bavaria, Munich is for sure the most beautiful city in Germany. Your local guide will take you on a guided tour which will include visit of the Marienplatz and the world famous "Glockenspiel," the twin-towered Frauenkirche , the Church of Our Lady, most familiar landmark of old Munich. Continue on to see the town hall, and the magnificent boulevard Feldherrenhalle Ludwigsstrasse Siegestor, created by King Ludwig I in the middle of the 19th century. Pass by the Residence, the palace of the kings of Bavaria, and the Hofgarten. Celebrate Mass and enjoy dinner and overnight in Munich. Today's itinerary will be dependent upon times of arrival. Any touring not possible today will be rescheduled for the following day.
Day 3, Mon, Sep 19, 2022: Munich - Oberammergau
After breakfast at your hotel, transfer to Oberammergau, home of the famous Passion Play. The little village of Oberammergau, is home of the famous Passion Play of the life of Christ. The play dates back to 1633 when the Plague, the "Black Death", took a severe toll of lives in the small village. In their distress, the inhabitants turned to God and vowed that if the pestilence was taken from them, they would perform a play every ten years, depicting the suffering and death of the Savior. Their plea was heard and there were no further plague victims in Oberammergau. The first performance of the Passion play took place in 1634 in the village cemetery. Dinner and overnight.
Day 4, Tues, Sep 20, 2022: Oberammergau - Passion Play: Performance Day
Celebrate Mass at local church. Enjoy some time to explore Oberammergau's colorful frescos known as "Luftlmalereien" on house facades and to visit wood carving shops with amazing array of nativity scenesand religious figures. Following lunch, we will make our way to the world famous theatre to attend the performance of a lifetime, the 42nd Oberammergau Passion Play. The sleepy village springs to life every ten years to put on a play that draws the world upon it! We, too, will become part of mission of the Passion of Christ, the greatest story ever told. We all share His message of faith and love! The Oberammergau Passion Play tells the story of the Passion of Christ, beginning with His entry into Jerusalem, followed by His trial, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension. The play is held in a beautiful open air theatre that is praised for its superb acoustics. There are 2,000 actors (and live animals), they include local wood carvers, hotel owners, students, teachers, children, all of them interrupt their schedules to become actors, singers, orchestra members and stagehands. Requirements are strict: all actors must be born in Oberammergau, or have lived there 20 years, or be married to a villager and a resident for 10 years. All natural makeup, such as men let their hair and beards grow a year before the play. Female roles are limited to single women under age 35.
The Play is approximately five and a half hours long and is performed in two acts.
Act I : 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Intermission: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm; enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
Act II: 8:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Day 5, Wed, Sep 21, 2022: Oberammergau - Prague
Breakfast at your hotel. Depart Oberammergau for Prague. Upon arrival, tour the old part of the city to view the Old Town Square, the famous Astronomical Clock, the Jewish Quarter, St. Nicholas Church, and Charles Bridge. Dinner and overnight in Prague.
Day 6, Thurs, Sep 22, 2022: Prague
After breakfast at your hotel, cross the Vltava River to see the Royal Castle of Hradcany and visit the Cathedral of St. Vitus, the Old Royal Palace, St. George's Basilica and the Golden Lane with its Daliborka Tower. Some time at leisure this afternoon before dinner and overnight.
Day 7, Fri, Sep 23, 2022: Prague - Bratislava
After breakfast at your hotel, continue your journey to the capital of Slovakia, Bratislava, a city famous for its charm and beauty. On a guided walking tour explore historic, lively pedestrian streets of this charming city where local street vendors offer regional gifts! Continue on to your hotel for dinner and overnight.
Day 8, Sat, Sep 24, 2022: Bratislava - Budapest
After breakfast at your hotel, depart for Budapest, Hungary. Upon arrival, enjoy a sightseeing tour including views of the decorative Parliament building, seat of the National Assembly; Vaci Utca, a pedestrian street lined with shops and restaurants; Heroes' Square with the Millennium Column, a 118-foot-high Corinthian column topped with a statue of the archangel Gabriel, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Dinner and overnight in Budapest.
Day 9, Sun, Sep 25, 2022: Budapest
After breakfast at your hotel, depart for sightseeing. Sightseeing today focuses on the Castle Hill area. You'll visit the 13th-century Matthias Church and the Fisherman's Bastion. Afterward see the Royal Palace. Experience the beautiful sights of Budapest on a 1-hour cruise along the Danube River. End your tour at Central Market Hall. The remainder of the day at leisure. Dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Day 10, Mon, Sep 26, 2022: Departure and return to USA
Prepare for your departure to the airport and your return flights home with memories for a lifetime.
About Your FLIGHTS -The benefit of traveling with 206 Tours
- 206 Tours will book your airline ticket from your closest airport to your final destination
- You can check your luggage all the way through without having to recheck
- Your transfers are always secured. Even if your flights are delayed
- You do not have to pay for airfare at time of booking, but with your final payment.
- In the very rare event that a tour is cancelled (by 206 Tours), you will always get all your money back from 206 Tours. This is not the case with other operators, especially if you purchased an airplane ticket directly from the airline.
- 206 Tours offers you flexibility - if you would like to travel before the tour, make a stop-over on the way, or stay later, we will arrange that for you!