Franciscan University of Steubenville
Oberammergau Passion Play
Budapest, Bratislava, Prague & Germany
Spiritual Director: Fr. Dave Pivonka, T.O.R.
(President of Franciscan University of Steubenville)
September 15 - 24, 2022
Your trip includes
- Round-trip airfare from
- All airport taxes & fuel surcharges
- Accommodations at first class hotels or similar:
- ~ 2 ni: Sep 16 - 18, Budapest: Radisson Blu Beke
- ~ 1 ni: Sep 18 - 19, Bratislava: Mercure Bratislava Centrum Hotel
- ~ 2 ni: Sep 19 - 21, Prague, Angelo by Vienna House Hotel
- ~ 2 ni: Sep 21 - 23, Oberammergau, accommodation to be advised
- ~ 1 ni: Sep 23 - 24, Munich, Hotel Maritim
- Transportation by private motor-coach
- Tour Escort Throughout
- Breakfast and Dinner daily
- Wine and mineral water with Dinner
- Category 1 ticket for the Passion Play
- Official Passion Play Program in English
- Mass daily
- Sightseeing and Entrances as per itinerary
- Luggage handling (1 piece per person)
- Flight bag & portfolio of all travel documents
- Lunches, Beverages not mentioned, Tips to your guide & driver.
Thu, Sep 15, 2022, Depart to Budapest
Depart for your overnight flights to Hungary.
Fri, Sep 16, 2022, Arrive Budapest
Upon arrival in Budapest, proceed to the arrivals area where your tour escort will greet you. Proceed to the bus and enjoy a sightseeing tour including views of the decorative Parliament building, seat of the National Assembly; Vaci Utca, a pedestrian street lined with shops and restaurants; Heroes' Square with the Millennium Column, a 118 foot high Corinthian column topped with a statue of the archangel Gabriel, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Dinner and overnight in Budapest.
Sat, Sep 17, 2022, Budapest
After breakfast at your hotel, depart for your sightseeing. Sightseeing today focuses on the Castle Hill area. You'll visit the 13th century Matthias Church and the Fisherman's Bastion. Afterward see the Royal Palace. Experience the beautiful sights of Budapest on a 1 hour cruise along the Danube River. You'll see famous landmarks such as the Chain Bridge. End your tour at Central Market Hall. The remainder of the day at leisure. Dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Sun, Sep 18, 2022, Budapest - Bratislava
After breakfast at your hotel, continue your journey to the capital of Slovakia, Bratislava, a city famous for its charm and beauty. On a guided walking tour explore historic, lively pedestrian streets of this charming city where local street vendors offer regional gifts! Continue on to your hotel for dinner and overnight.
Mon, Sep 19, 2020, Bratislava - Prague
Breakfast at your hotel. Depart to Prague. Upon arrival, tour the old part of the city to view the Old Town Square, the famous Astronomical Clock, the Jewish Quarter, St. Nicholas Church, and Charles Bridge. Dinner and overnight in Prague.
Tue, Sep 20, 2022, Prague
After breakfast at your hotel, cross the Vltava River to see the Royal Castle of Hradcany and visit the Cathedral of St. Vitus, the Old Royal Palace, St. George's Basilica and the Golden Lane with its Daliborka Tower. Some time at leisure this afternoon before dinner and overnight.
Wed, Sep 21, 2022, Prague - Oberammergau
After breakfast at your hotel, transfer to Oberammergau, home of the famous Passion Play. The little village of Oberammergau, is home of the famous Passion Play of the life of Christ. The play dates back to 1633 when the Plague, the "Black Death", took a severe toll of lives in the small village. In their distress, the inhabitants turned to God and vowed that if the pestilence was taken from them, they would perform a play every ten years, depicting the suffering and death of the Savior. Their plea was heard and there were no further plague victims in Oberammergau. The first performance of the Passion play took place in 1634 in the village cemetery. Dinner and overnight.
Thu, Sep 22, 2022, Oberammergau - Passion Play: Performance Day
Celebrate Mass at local church. Enjoy some time to explore Oberammergau's colorful frescos known as "Luftlmalereien" on house facades and to visit wood carving shops with amazing array of nativity scenesand religious figures. Following lunch, we will make our way to the world famous theatre to attend the performance of a lifetime, the 42nd Oberammergau Passion Play. The sleepy village springs to life every ten years to put on a play that draws the world upon it! We, too, will become part of mission of the Passion of Christ, the greatest story ever told. We all share His message of faith and love! The Oberammergau Passion Play tells the story of the Passion of Christ, beginning with His entry into Jerusalem, followed by His trial, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension. The play is held in a beautiful open air theatre that is praised for its superb acoustics. There are 2,000 actors (and live animals), they include local wood carvers, hotel owners, students, teachers, children, all of them interrupt their schedules to become actors, singers, orchestra members and stagehands. Requirements are strict: all actors must be born in Oberammergau, or have lived there 20 years, or be married to a villager and a resident for 10 years. All natural makeup, such as men let their hair and beards grow a year before the play. Female roles are limited to single women under age 35.
The Play is approximately five and a half hours long and is performed in two acts.
Act I : 2:30pm - 5:00pm
Intermission: 5:30pm - 7:30pm; enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
Act II: 8:00pm - 10:30pm
Fri, Sep 23, 2022, Oberammergau - Munich
for sure the most beautiful city in Germany. Upon arrival, your local guide will take you on a guided tour which will include visit of the Marienplatz and the world famous "Glockenspiel," the twin-towered Frauenkirche , the Church of Our Lady, most familiar landmark of old Munich. Continue on to see the town hall, and the magnificent boulevard Feldherrenhalle Ludwigsstrasse Siegestor, created by King Ludwig I in the middle of the 19th century. Pass by the Residence, the palace of the kings of Bavaria, and the Hofgarten. Celebrate Mass at Fraunekirche. Enjoy some free time for lunch and shopping. We will conclude our stay in Munich with a stein of beer and a dinner at a local Brauhaus restaurant.
Sat, Sep 24, 2022, Departure and return to USA
Prepare for your departure to the airport and your return flights home with memories for a lifetime.*206 Tours Disclaimer:
Though every effort will be made to follow the itinerary, it should be considered as an indication, rather than a contract of places to be visited. Occasionally local religious holidays, national days, weather, traffic conditions and other events may necessitate changes in the sequence of visits or the missing of certain visits.
The benefit of buying airfare with 206 Tours?
- Your transfers are always secured, even if your flights are delayed - round trip transfers to/from the hotel and airport are included no matter what!
- If you purchase your airline ticket on your own, you have to pay in full at the time of booking, and most of the time it is non-refundable. If you book with 206 Tours, full payment is due 60 days prior.
- In the very rare event that a tour is cancelled, you would get all your money back, which would most likely not be the case if you purchased it directly from the airline.
- Your flight arrangement will be followed up on and reconfirmed by 206 Tours.
- 206 Tours can arrange for you to travel before the tour, make a stop-over, or stay later!
About Your FLIGHTS -The benefit of traveling with 206 Tours
- 206 Tours will book your airline ticket from your closest airport to your final destination
- You can check your luggage all the way through without having to recheck
- Your transfers are always secured. Even if your flights are delayed
- You do not have to pay for airfare at time of booking, but with your final payment.
- In the very rare event that a tour is cancelled (by 206 Tours), you will always get all your money back from 206 Tours. This is not the case with other operators, especially if you purchased an airplane ticket directly from the airline.
- 206 Tours offers you flexibility - if you would like to travel before the tour, make a stop-over on the way, or stay later, we will arrange that for you!